Network Address Translation (NAT) is a crucial element in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) ecosystem, enabling seamless communication between private subnets and the internet. In this blog, we explore the essentials of NAT service in AWS installing “NAT Gateway” and “NAT Instance” in ensuring secure outbound internet connectivity for instances in private subnets.
Image of the VPC we are setting up in this blog
1. What is NAT?
2. NAT Gateway
The step is quite straightforward.
3. NAT Instance from AMI
This step is also easy. And we got full control of NAT instance.
4. NAT Instance from scratch
- Install EC2
- Configure NAT function
1. Copy & Paste those and run from terminal
sudo sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 sudo /sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE sudo yum install iptables-services sudo service iptables save
2. Add IP forwarding rule in “sysctl.conf” file
3. Apply the change of “sysctl.conf” file
sudo sysctl -p
4. Enable and Start “iptables-services”
sudo systemctl enable iptables sudo systemctl start iptables sudo systemctl status iptables
5. Save “iptables” (Actually it may not need it)
sudo service iptables save